Probation for Bringing a Gun Through a TSA Checkpoint! Increase in Firearms Uncovered at the Nation’s Airports – Los Angeles Times Reports on How the Los Angeles Superior Courts are Handling Those Arrested for these Offenses

Yesterday the Los Angeles Times published an article addressing how the Los Angeles County Superior courts are handling passengers arrested for attempting to bring firearms onto flights at LAX airport.

According to the article, Transportation Security Administration (“TSA”) are finding significantly more weapons at airport security checkpoints each year. The Times analyzed court records from January 1, 2016 to September 30, 2018 to determine what happens to the people arrested for bringing a firearm to LAX.

The Times determined that most offenders are charged with misdemeanors and receive a fine of $500 and are placed on informal probation. In about 70% of the cases, the Times discovered that the suspects were convicted or referred to a diversion program. In the remaining 30% of cases, the charges were dismissed, still pending, or the Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office declined to prosecute. Three of the offenders arrested for firearms at LAX were referred to the Neighborhood Justice Program, a diversion program in which the offender would appear before a community panel that would order the offender to complete community service, pay restitution, and/or take self-improvement classes.

The TSA can impose its own civil fines for violating airport rules and regulations.

To read the full LA Times article visit:

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-firearm-la-airport-analysis-20190103-story.html

DISCLAIMER:

The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from Escovar & Avila, LLP or the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this Post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction. The information on this website is a communication and is for informational purposes only. The facts of every case are unique and nothing on this page or on this website should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship and viewing of this information does not create an attorney-client relationship. The result portrayed in this advertisement was dependent on the facts of this case. Results will differ if based on different facts.

Categories: